Wednesday 4 June 2014

Nars Laguna/ Orgasm vs. E.L.F St. Lucia duo

L-R: NARS 'Orgasm' blush, E.L.F 'St.Lucia' duo blush + bronzer, and NARS 'Laguna' bronzer

Hey everyone!

So I'm sure you've all heard about NARS' coveted blush in 'Orgasm' and bronzer in 'Laguna', right?
Right.
Well, today I'll be comparing them to the E.L.F. contouring blush & bronzing duo in 'St. Lucia'!

Lets get ready to rrrumble! (Clearly grew up watching the wrestling with older brothers, what up)

1. Packaging.
I have the full sizes of 'Laguna' and 'Orgasm', so I can't compare duo for duo, but E.L.F's packaging is clearly taking notes from NARS, when I compare it with the full size of 'Laguna' side by side:


They both have large mirrors inside, and the product is displayed almost identically.
The NARS packaging feels sturdier, and of course it feels more of a luxury item than the E.L.F duo. I will also note that the NARS packaging is matte, while the E.L.F packaging isn't.

2. Colours.
Now, this is a big one.
I'll start by comparing the blushes first.
Firstly, the NARS blush is much darker and pinker than the E.L.F. blush, which is more peach in comparison. It has finer shimmers in it too - the E.L.F blush has chunkier glitter, and overall the NARS blush has more of a golden "sheen" to it. 

                              L: E.L.F 'St. Lucia' blush
                              R: NARS 'Orgasm' blush
Now for the bronzers.
At first glance these two look almost identical in the pan. Upon closer inspection, I realised that the NARS bronzer is slightly darker, and again, has finer golden shimmers than the E.L.F bronzer, which has more apparent glitter in it.

                             L: E.L.F 'St. Lucia' bronzer
                             R: NARS 'Laguna' bronzer
3. Consistency and swatches.
These swatches were photographed in natural light, with no flash.

L-R: E.L.F blush, NARS 'Orgasm', E.L.F bronzer and NARS 'Laguna bronzer
The NARS blush swatches much easier than the E.L.F blush. It is much more pigmented, which is the complete opposite for the bronzers.
The E.L.F bronzer is much more pigmented and is much darker than the NARS bronzer when swatched - which was not what I expected when compared them in the pan!
But, that's not necesarily a good thing for a bronzer. That can take you from 0 TO 100 way too fast, and you'll end up looking muddy if you're pale like myself. 
The E.L.F bronzer is much chalkier than the NARS as you can see in the swatches. Both of the NARS products are very buttery and easy to blend.
The E.L.F blush is much harder to swatch than the NARS, and you really need to build it up for decent colour payoff.

Price:
The NARS 'Laguna + Orgasm' duo will set you back around $85AUD ($42USD) and the E.L.F 'St. Lucia' duo will cost roughly $3.25AUD. 

Overall:
The NARS blush and bronzer are completely different in terms of both colour and consistency than E.L.F's version, and I would definitely NOT call them a dupe of one another.

Most people would now say that the differences are put aside when considering the contrasting prices, but to be honest, there is no point, because there aren't enough similarities for me to rule out opting for the NARS  products, even if they are pricey.

Though the E.L.F duo is not an unwelcome addition in my collection, I don't see myself reaching for it all too often, which is sad because I had such very high hopes for this one.

I hope you enjoyed this comparison post, and if you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way!

Xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment